Monday, January 3, 2011

Daily Life in Dublin

After numerous people had told me that groceries and food are quite expensive in Dublin, I have found it to be true.   I mean it's nothing outrageously priced, but coming from exchanging 260 dollars and getting back 183, it makes you take in consideration that the item that's 2.75 euros is actually about 4.50 to 5.00 dollars. As I did my shopping for the week with Derek we had to go to about four different grocery stores to find some of the things I needed for the things I know how to make.    The grocery stores are quite different.  For instance, the deli, frozen meat, and all frozen foods are almost like walking into a walk in freezer.   Unlike American freezer sections where they have the frozen food section contained with doors.   Also, unlike in America, you have to bring your own bags to the grocery store or you have to pay for plastic bags.   This leaves some interesting ways for people here to try to get their groceries home with most bringing some sort of a suitcase or back pack.  

Tesco Supermarket

Irishman in Braveheart
Derek and I had a quiet night in last night where he seemed shocked that I had never seen Braveheart.   It's a great movie, but seems to hold a lot more power for the Scottish and Irish that have had more direct oppression (Derek made me change rule to oppression) over them.  Derek also has a long lost family member in Braveheart where he claims that Ireland is "his island."    I'm pretty sure if you look closely, you can see some resemblance, or at least what Derek would look like as dark headed.




I also was exposed to a fantastic TV show from England called The Inbetweeners.   I was a bit shocked by the graphic and a bit crude humor that is allowed to be on the TV.   The only thing Derek could muster up is that it only comes on after 9 PM, but it seems that it's quite explicit sexual humor that is directed towards middle school aged kids.  The show is absolutely hilarious, but I was amazed at how this could be on TV and not be considered all that raunchy.  Here are a few pictures of a few of the scenes that would never come on American TV.  Here is a link that you can watch the full episode/s on:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJpzJiV1V_c


Neil humping a book
Will trying to lose his virginity
Neil had his clothes stolen at work
Jay's dad mocking him over his lack of ability to talk to girls


1 comment:

  1. I can sympathize with your frustration in foreign grocery stores, Cass. I feel like some days I'm on a full out scavenger hunt trying to find certain items. Sounds like you're having a blast so far. Keep up the blogging =)

    ReplyDelete