Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Globe and Kehoe's 9

Yesterday I was feeling a bit cooped up, so we decided to venture out and go walking down some of the streets of Dublin.  I'm pretty sure I'm still suffering 
from some jet lag because I tend to get sleepy at the weirdest times and then wide awake in the middle of the night.   We went around some of the shopping streets and to look for Trevon (my little cousin) a birthday gift.  I picked up a few postcards to send to people while Derek found a paddy cap.  I told him that I just expect to see him tomorrow with a tweed vest, his paddy cap, and a cane.    I think some how in the back of my mind I expect the Irish men to still dress like this while the sheep pass by on the streets.   I can assure you that this is not true in Dublin.   





With it still being around the holiday season, the streets of Dublin are packed with people.   We passed by Arnotts Department Store that is one of the shopping landmarks on Dublin's north side.   


























The city is still decorated for Christmas with some of the decorations still being in Irish.   One of the picture is of the street lights that literally means Christmas happy to you with it being Nollaig Shona Duit in Irish.  






















We also went to two bars last night-- The Globe and Kehoe's 9.    The Globe had a Bob Dylan tribute band there that was playing which was nice.  


















My First of Pint of Guinness in Ireland




Afterwards we ventured over to 9 South Anne Street to go to Kehoe's.   Derek made sure we went to this one because before I came over I had mentioned that I had wanted to go to all of the Kehoe's.   Little did I know that the number nine was only the street number with me thinking it was a chain of bars.   The bar was quite nice and cozy on the inside and was enjoying the "craic", but all of a sudden I heard the strangest comment coming from some very young kids.   They were all in unison doing the Pauly D "oh yeahhhh" which I found a bit shocking since I thought the Jersey Shore lingo wouldn't quite make it this far. 

On the way home, we decided to stop by Burger King for some "soakage."   One of the nice boys sitting beside us decided to christen the term on me since it was obvious that all of us had been drinking.








Close to home, we passed by the infamous Molly Malone where Derek and I decided to take a few pictures with her.   Legend has it that she was a a fishmonger by day and a prostitute by night hence the low cut dress.  There is also a famous song about her. 




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdxLxnhGnvo 






In fact, the song is quite famous and popular here today and is sung at the Dublin Gaelic football game as one of their anthems  

1 comment:

  1. omg! so glad you went to the globe! that was my favorite bar in dublin besides porter house central!! did you guys go downstairs into the nightclub part where they have the dancefloor?? if not, you need to go back and go down there! reading your blog is like a trip down memory lane for me! so jealous you are there right now!!

    ReplyDelete