Thursday, January 6, 2011

The International Comedy Club and The Mezz

Within my first day of landing in Ireland I realized that many things are different, but not unmanageable.  However, in some of the older housing in Ireland you have to turn the water on to heat up at least thirty minutes before you want to use it (this is called the immersion).   This includes hot water for cooking, showering, washing your face etc.  So, Derek decided to help me understand this through a fellow American that has lived in Ireland for eighteen years.  The comedian is named Des Bishop and is quite popular here in Ireland.   

This should explain exactly what it is for all the non-Irish people.   
Aidan Bishop

We decided to head to the International Comedy Club where Des Bishop and his young brother Aidan Bishop are the MC's.


Des Bishop


During the show, there were four different acts with the main act being Maeve Higgans.  Apparently she is quite famous here with her own comedy show on TV, but she was absolutely horrible.  She's from Cork and has a very strange and difficult accent to understand.   I thought it was only me that couldn't understand her, but I overheard other girls from Ireland talking about how they needed a translator to be able to understand her.



In the last comedy act it was obvious that the comedian wanted to interact with the crowd as much as possible.   He had just asked if there were any Australians and had joked with them a bit.  That is when Derek turns to me and says do not respond to anything if it applies to you!   Right about that time he asks if there are any Americans in the crowd which I respond with a loud and proud woooooooooooooo from the corner.   Derek is already dying that I responded to him, but I continue to answer his questions.  His first is how long are you here for and I respond with for five months.  He then asks me what are you doing here and my already tipsy self responds with a finger pointing Derek with someone else shouting "HIM" I knew at that point that the comedian didn't expect to have such blunt honesty, so he left us alone and didn't ask us any other questions.  


After we left the comedy club we stopped at one last place called The Mezz for a few drinks before we headed home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment