Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Raheny Inn

Last night it was a friend of Derek's birthday, so to celebrate we met up with them at The Raheny Inn.  I was already a bit nervous about meeting a lot of his friends, but the saying that you'll never meet a nicer bunch of drunks is true here in Ireland.  All of his friends were extremely nice and had no qualms about me being a newcomer.




Brian Mahon, Me, and Derek 
It was also great to be able to see how Derek and his old friends  interact with one another.   It has been a bit of a challenge for me to be able to understand the  Irish humor.  What most Americans would find uncomfortable or possibly get slightly offended by, is what the Irish people find the funniest.   Apparently this is a term called "slagging" or "taking the piss".   It is especially important not to say "taking the piss on you" as I once said to Derek and he has yet to let me live it down.  


Derek and Brian McDonnell


I especially enjoyed talking to Derek's friend Brian as the first thing I said to him is that I was unsure which he was since he has a twin brother.   His response "fuck him.  I'm the only one that matters."   The Irish definitely do not hold anything back for a laugh.  Which has proven to be quite refreshing.   


After we left The Raheny Inn, Derek was dying for some fries from Burger King.   I was shocked to find that it had two pretty fierce looking guards.  Derek told me that all stores have them in Dublin including convenience stores have them at night.   


I also had a gift from the American Beer Gods waiting for me downstairs in the bathroom of Burger King.   Apparently, some drunk girl had left an entire can of Budweiser in the bathroom.   So the slightly tipsy me took it with home thinking had found gold while at the King. 
Me at O'Connell Street 

1 comment:

  1. What is it with you and finding things in bathrooms?? lol!!

    ReplyDelete